Ethel Elizabeth Clint
Ethel Elizabeth Clint
  • July 1, 1924 - December 30, 2017
  • Newbury Park, California

Share This Obituary

Ethel Elizabeth Salow was born to Elizabeth and George Salow on July I, 1924 in
Summit Township of Erie, PA. She grew up on their small farm with 3 older brothers:
Robert, George and Cliff; and the younger twins, Merle and Pearl.

She attended a nearby one-room school house up until 8th grade. Chores included
weeding carrot patches, helping with canning or other household tasks and picking
elderberries. At age 8 she was allowed to carefully carry her own kerosene lamp to her
bedroom - before electricity was installed in their house. High school was a big change
since she had to take the bus to town to attend a school for 1000s.

Her family enjoyed music. The children and their mother would sing together around the
piano for entertainment. Ethel learned to play piano by ear and continued with lessons
from a neighbor. Her mother helped with the children's choir at church. In high school
Ethel auditioned for the acapella choir and was accepted.

A deep sorrow in her life was that her mother died suddenly when Ethel was 15, days
before her first choir performance. Many years later, she remembered times when she
had felt overwhelmed by the loss of her mother; her father would continue working but
softly sing to himself (and to her, she realized later): "Ask the savior to help you,
strengthen, comfort and keep you. He is willing to aid you. He will carry you through."

At age 17 she met Kenneth Clint, a friend of her older brother, George. Her father
approved of Kenneth and consented to a wedding at their Summit Methodist Church on
October 3, 1942. They started married life in a small cottage owned by Ken's Uncle
Irving. Eventually, they worked together building their own home on Victory Drive.
Their son, Gordon born 1944, remembers helping to carry bricks up a ladder for his Dad
to make the chimney. In 1951, daughter Karen was born.
In 1953, the family began a new adventure - seeking opportunity in California. They
sold their house, packed up their car and drove across the country, stopping at special
spots along the way. They settled in the San Fernando Valley. They were grateful to
stay in a friend's tiny trailer while they saved money and looked for a house to buy.
Ethel was relieved when they found a nice house on Ranchito Avenue. They were
careful with resources during this period. At first their dining room table was a redwood
picnic table that is still in good shape and used in the family.

Ethel enjoyed the warmer California weather and was delighted to find plants could grow
all year round. Holidays and special times were spent with a close circle of friends and
relatives who had also migrated to California. At times, she took on extra work -
enjoying creativity of sewing and making doll clothes for sale, working in a cookie
factory, or supervising newspaper boys. Her most important focus was raising her two
children and being a homemaker. She was delighted that her daughter, Karen, had
musical ability and learned to play the accordion.
In 1964 the family moved to Newbury Park to be closer to Ken's work. In addition to
homemaking, Ethel got together with neighbors and friends. Some formed a craft group
that would meet for decades, once a month to work on projects together. After their
children married and moved out of the house on Wendy Drive, Ethel and Ken downsized
to a smaller "honeymoon" home on Barrington Court. Always practical, they chose easy
maintenance and one-story for old age. In early retirement they made a point of enjoying
special trips where they made long-term friends again. Travels included Hawaii, Europe,
exploring the U.S. western states and a cruise through the Panama Canal. Spending
active time with grandchildren: Adam, Laura, Brian, Crystal and Ross caused Ethel to
note more than once that the time for raising children passes too quickly.

Later, when Ken's Alzheimer's progressed, Ethel focused on caretaking again. She
learned all she could about this disease that was new to her and spent 10 years working to
patiently guide Ken through difficult transitions. There were frustrating times but her
positive spirit encouraged her to keep going: "If it's going to be it's up to me." Before he
died in 1992, Ken had forgotten her name but still knew to say: "you are someone who
loves me."

In the years after Ken's death, Ethel lived independently and enjoyed times with family
and friends. She was able to see her grandchildren grow up and have children of their
own. Even in her 90's, her joy of hosting Christmas celebrations continued a tradition for
the generation of great-grandchildren.

As her physical health declined, Ethel still cherished connection with friends and family.
Her greatest pleasure was spending time with the people who meant so much to her.
She died in her sleep December 30, 2017.

In lieu of flowers, donations could be made to Senior Concerns with Meals on Wheels in the memo, 401 Hodencamp Road, Thousand Oaks, California 91360.