Finis Oscar Triplett
Finis Oscar Triplett
  • October 25, 1924 - April 30, 2017
  • Dallas, Texas

Share This Obituary

Finis Oscar Triplett was born in Terrell, TX on October 25, 1924 to William Oscar and Lillie Jones Triplett. His parents, brothers Clarence, Curtis, and Bernie, as well as sister Vada preceded him in death.

He is survived by his wife of 57 years, Verna; son, Ray Triplett and wife Miena of Seattle, WA; daughter, Patricia McLain and husband James of Rowlett, TX; grandchildren, Todd and Angie Bickle of Fate, TX, Kristi and Andy Boyd of Rowlett, TX, Paul and Courtney Triplett of Singapore, Junji and Hien Triplett of Seattle, WA, Felicia and Jay Casstevens of Garland, TX, James and Michelle Lucas of Sunnyvale, TX, and Bradley and Lacey Lucas of Rowlett, TX; 13 great-grandchildren; 1 great-great-grandson; as well as many extended family members.

On September 5, 1942, at the age of 16, which was 7 weeks prior to his 17th birthday, he and his father went to town for him to join the US Marine Corps in World War II, and left the Marines in September 1945. When he joined, the soldiers were never issued dress blues, just kakis. During his service he was on Iwo Jima, New Zealand, and many other places. He later joined the US Navy from December 1947 to February 1950 in order to learn how to work on radios. he went back to the Marines in July 1951 to March 1959. He was stationed in Japan in the early 50's during the Korean War, and while state-side he was stationed at Treasure Island, on Camp Pendleton; and the Naval Air Station in San Diego, CA. After leaving the Marines he joined the Army National Guard from October 1961 to September 1964, just prior to the Cuban crisis.

In April of 1955, he joined the Dallas Police Department where he worked until he retired in 1977. After his retirement from the police department, he worked as a Bailiff in the Dallas County Court System.

He was unable to graduate from high school because of his enlistment during the war, but he was eventually able to get his GED at SMU. He was very proud of that. For many years, he never talked about the wars he saw, but in the last 15 - 20 years he talked about it very often, and he also loved to tell police stories. He was always a Marine at heart.

Verna says he was the sweetest man she every knew. Some of his hobbies included woodworking, rock collecting and polishing, and making jewelry out of stones. He and Verna also spent a lot of time together antiquing.

Visitation will be held Tuesday, May 2, 2017 from 1:00 to 1:45 P.M. at Grove Hill Funeral Home, and will be followed by Graveside Funeral Services at 2:00 P.M. at Grove Hill Memorial Park, 3920 Samuell Blvd, Dallas, TX 75228.