Garland Ray Chapmond
Garland Ray Chapmond
  • December 7, 1932 - May 20, 2017
  • Dallas, Texas

Share This Obituary

Garland Ray Chapmond was born December 7, 1932 in Ft Worth, Texas. His father's name was Porter Garland Chapmond and his mother's name was Dollie Hill Chapmond. He had one sibling - Mary Lillian Chapmond, who was a few years older than he was when he was born. His father owned what they used to call a Confectioner's Shop and I remember him telling me his father got up around 3 am every morning to make fresh doughnuts. Sometimes his dad took him to work with him and oh how he loved eating the fresh, hot doughnuts that came out of the oven!! Garland loved his father very much and remembered him as being very loving and kind to him - always having time to listen to him. He considered him the best man he ever knew.

Garland lived in Ft Worth until he joined the Army in August 11, 1950 when he was 18 and went to Germany to serve as an automobile and tank mechanic driver until he was honorably discharged with a Good Conduct medal on August 10, 1953. He fell in love with the German people and when he returned to the US he eventually joined the German choir in Dallas called the Dallas Frohsinn Singing Society that is still in existence today. He also played the violin so he joined a German band that played at different events in Dallas including the State Fair of Texas. He would always wear the traditional German outfit which included Lederhosen and I can see him to this day all dressed up with his perky German hat with pins all over it and a feather in the cap! How he relished the times he spent singing in the choir and playing with the band as they went to the various events in and around Dallas.

Garland's other passions were dancing, airplanes, and dogs. He got his small airplane pilot's license when he returned to the US from Germany and flew several years to various places. When he eventually had to give up his license because of his diminished eyesight, he remained passionate about going to Oshkosh, Wisconsin, to the annual EAA Airventure airshow. He and his best friend Ralph Laudermilk would drive or fly up there together and come back full of fun stories about seeing the planes, eating all kinds of interesting food, and playing jokes on each other! They had many wonderful years of friendship that lasted until Ralph passed away a few years ago.

How he loved to dance! For several years would go to the dances at the VFW and community centers in Farmers Branch, Rockwall, Mesquite, and others a few times a week. Once he retired, he kept busy singing in the choir, playing in the band, and dancing each week.

Now for the dogs - ever since the time I've known Garland (which was 30 years), he has had a dog or dogs that he loved very much. His favorite dogs that I knew of were Isaac, Walter, and Toby (his current dog). His dog Walter was a brother to my little dog Sara and because Garland was my next door neighbor for years, they would play and wrestle together when we visited each other. When he was bed ridden these past two years, Toby was his constant companion - never leaving his bed unless it was to go outside to potty or into the kitchen to eat. When he went outside to potty, he couldn't wait to run back to the apartment to jump on his bed and be with his dad!

Caroline Doyle met Garland in August 1987 and they became fast friends that lasted a lifetime. He was a compassionate listener, counselor, friend, confidante, and eventually became a surrogate father to Caroline. Caroline loved him very much, and will sorely miss him every day. She looks forward to spending eternity in Heaven with him, where we know he is today!

His friend Frances Burke, who was his neighbor in the apartment complex where he lived for the past 16 years, also became a good friend of his for the past 11 years. She and he shared many happy times together, and when he became bed-bound 2 years ago, she visited him every day - keeping him company, making meals for him, and tending to his care. The day he passed away, Frances had stayed up with him all night, talking to him and comforting him during his pain until he passed away in the early morning hours of May 20, 2017. Frances was a true friend until the end and will miss him very much.

As you can see, Garland loved life and lived it to the fullest until he lost his second leg 2 years ago. But because of he gave his life to Jesus many years ago, he is more fully alive now than he ever was here on earth. I bet he's already joined the Heavenly choir, band, and dance club - but this time singing, playing, and dancing to the Lord!!

Funeral Services will be held Tuesday, May 30, 2017 at 10:00am at Grove Hill Funeral Home, and will be followed by Military Funeral Honors and the Committal Service at 1:15pm at the Dallas Fort Worth National Cemetery.