Horton Manning ROGERS
Horton Manning ROGERS
  • August 12, 1930 - March 24, 2017
  • Lake Worth, Florida

Share This Obituary


We lost a husband, father, brother, uncle, grandfather, great grandfather, friend, and colleague on March 24, 2017 when Horton Manning “Bill” Rogers was called home to his Lord at the age of 86. He passed away peacefully of natural causes in his Lake Worth, Florida home surrounded by family. He was a man who loved deeply and will be greatly missed by those that knew and loved him.

He is survived by his wife of 66 years, Annabelle. At age 20, he married his high school sweetheart and love of his life.

He is also survived by his daughter, Gail Emily Flynn, her husband, Patrick, and their daughter, Kelli.

He is also survived by his son, Timothy Manning Rogers, his wife, Belinda, and their five children: Ty Rogers (Jennifer) and their daughter, Arya; Carrie Barcia (Patrick) and children Haylee Barclay, Justin Lund, Jessie Lund, Cody Barcia, Dalton Barcia, Logan Barcia, and Blane Barcia; Jared Rogers (Kylie) and their son, Camden; Bonnie Northsea (Mike) and their sons, Behr and Willem; Kyle Rogers (Amanda) and their son, Hernan.

His is also survived by his brother Bob Rogers, his wife Becky, and their children.

Bill was born on August 12, 1930 to August Horton Rogers and Mildred Alberta Manning in Louisville, KY. Bill’s mother wanted to name him Bill, but was over-ruled by her mother-in-law who insisted on Horton. Mildred never liked the name, so from day one he was always called Bill. He used to say that the only people that called him Horton were the IRS and his mother when he was in trouble.

Bill would say that the men of the Rogers’ family were stoic and reserved. He was an interesting person to know. As a young man, Bill learned through his great grandfather that the family was directly related to Abraham Lincoln. He delved into family genealogy and verified that connection.

Bill served in the U.S. Naval Reserves from April 25, 1948 until July 31, 1951. The following day, August 1, 1951, he enlisted in the U.S. Navy (Service #426 44 52) and served until July 12, 1955. His Naval duties brought him to the periphery of intelligence work and his contacts with the intelligence community continued for the rest of his life.

After the Korean War, Bill continued his education at The University of Missouri from 1955 to 1959 earning a Bachelor’s of Science degree in Electrical Engineering. In addition, he pursued graduate studies at The University of South Florida.

Bill worked as an electrical engineer for several large companies for many years developing guidance systems for rockets and simulation, control, and test equipment, earning a patent along the way. In his 40s, Bill quit a perfectly secure job to save a small, manufacturing company, Precise Power/Lampkin Laboratories, from bankruptcy. He continued with this Bradenton, Florida-based company, serving as CEO for many years. He finished his professional career as the regional and national sales representative for John Fluke Manufacturing Company in Orlando.

Drawn to the written word, Bill was a published author. His books The Planters, published by ArcheBooks Publishing, and To Any Extreme, published by Virtualbookworm.com Publishing, are both still in print today. He was a freelance reporter for The Orlando Sun covering business related events and also volunteered his time reading the daily newspaper for the visually impaired at an Orlando radio station, WMFE.

With a never ending desire to learn new things, Bill was driven to study and perform magic, find and polish semi-precious stones, and travel the open road in his motorhome. He travelled to see just what lied over the horizon, visiting almost every state, while gathering information for his writing inspiration.

Bill was extremely proud of his work and experiences with the Masonic Lodge as he was a 32 degree Mason.

Yes, Bill was an interesting person to know. He strived to be an uncommon man. He was a pilot and, for a time, commuted to work 50 miles away through the open sky. For many years, he sailed his sailboat in races and for mere personal enjoyment.

On his 60th birthday, Bill leaped out of a perfectly good airplane at 11,500 feet (yes, with a parachute) to celebrate this milestone. He continued his love of the open skies by venturing trips in a hot air balloon and gliders.

With strength and regret to leave his loved ones, Bill faced his last days calmly and peacefully surrounded by family.

Fair winds and following seas, Bill. God, give him rest and peace.