Jon Harold Self
Jon Harold Self
  • January 23, 1953 - December 10, 2017
  • Salt Lake City, Utah

Share This Obituary

Arrangements made by

Wasatch Lawn Mortuary

3401 South Highland Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84106
Get Directions

Profile of Wasatch Lawn Mortuary

View Phone Number

After a long illness, Jon H. Self returned home on December 10, 2017. He passed peacefully, surrounded by his loving wife and family.
Jon was born in Boise, Idaho on January 23, 1953, the son of Theodore Robert Self and Clara Ann Bishop Self. He was preceded in death by his parents and his loving stepmother, Grace Marie (Billie) Taylor Self. He is survived by his wife, Kathleen Pappas Self, Matthew Steven Self (son), Alexandra Marie Self (daughter), Peggy Ann Self Mitchell (sister) and numerous beloved nieces and nephews.
Jon was known for his great intelligence, sense of humor, out-going personality, hard work, integrity, generosity, sharp dressing, and high energy. He was devoted in his love for his family and friends.
Jon grew up in Price, Utah, where he learned to love baseball. He liked science from a young age and enjoyed building and shooting off model rockets. He moved with his parents to the east coast for his father's career. He graduated in 1971 from Grundy High School, Grundy, VA. He played high school sports and was a natural athlete and leader. He was selected to represent his school at Boys State and enjoyed a special school trip to Washington D.C. Jon graduated from the College of Eastern Utah in Price, UT before transferring to the University of Utah where he graduated in Mining Engineering in 1987.
Jon married the love his life, Kathy Pappas, in September, 1982. Their son, Matthew, was born in 1990 and their daughter, Alexandra, was born in 1993. He dedicated his life to financially supporting and caring for his family through all their medical and daily-living challenges. He was exceptionally proud of his wife's dedicated career in serving persons with disabilities and his daughter's graduation from the University of Utah in 2015.
Golf, working out, and watching U of U Football games were his favorite hobbies. He always flew a red U of U flag at his house whenever there was a home game. Jon was an excellent golfer and, as his career required him to travel, played on many prestigious golf courses throughout the country. He loved to golf and play soft ball and volleyball with family and friends. He was highly skilled at billiards. Jon also played the acoustic guitar well and sang for his sweetheart, Kathy. He loved rock and roll music and the Harley he had as a young man. He was a gifted automobile mechanic, and also extensively remodeled both of his homes.
Jon's professional career began at the Kaiser Steel coal mine in East Carbon, Utah, where he worked for nine years. Both his father and grandfather had worked in the Utah mining industry, where they took strong leadership positions. Jon decided to become a Mining Engineer and worked graveyard shifts so he could attend college classes during the daytime. He studied for and became a member of the Mine Search and Rescue Team and served in that capacity in several states. He received his mining engineering degree just as the U.S. market was flooded with cheap steel from China and the Utah mining industry screeched to a halt. The engineering position he had been promised following graduation melted away. Thus, he changed industries and put to use his excellent engineering skills as an Industrial Hygienist for IHI (Industrial Health Incorporated, later purchased by Terracon). For twenty-nine years he was a highly-respected survey and bid manager for the removal of asbestos from large buildings, particularly LDS churches and stake centers, the company's largest client. As with everything else in his life, his work was impeccable. He was an acknowledged leader in his industry, and was asked to train others in his expertise at recertification courses for his industry. This he did with his characteristic excellence. As his illnesses progressed, he finally was no longer able to work for the company he had faithfully served for almost three decades. Jon also had a private business, Valley Vending, which he responsibly built and serviced for many years.
Jon's memory will always be respected by his work associates, his friends and his family. He lived a fast-paced life, was an honorable man, and achieved many great things along the way. He will be sorely missed and lovingly remembered by all who were fortunate enough to know and love him.