Share This Obituary

MacDonald Owen Bovee III, otherwise known as "Mac." is survived by his Wife of 46 years, Linda; children, Tammy and Mac; daughter-in-law; Kelly; grandchildren, Alec, Paul, Jeremiah, and Jason; brother, Eugene; and a host of other family and friends.

Mac was preceded in death by; his parents, Ruby and MacDonald; half-brother, Gerard; and half-sister, Duretta.

Someone once said "The simple things are also the most extraordinary things, and only the wise can see the."

Well, Mac was indeed a wise man. He appreciated the little things in life, like a home of his own, a good and loving wife, healthy children, and a good job. He also loved the great outdoors and was a good friend to his neighbors, and a trusted fellow soldier in the Air Force he served for some 20+ years. He was a simple man who loved his simple life. Wednesday, April 5, 2017 at he was laid to rest at Ft. Sam Houston, with full military honors.

It was a Friday, June 9th, when Ruby Smith Bovee and MacDonald Owen Bovee, Jr. became the proud parents of a handsome baby boy they named MacDonald Owen III. The place was a small farming town, called Mason, Michigan, and the year was 1950, and what a year that was!

Harry Truman was the President that year when he ordered the development of the Hydrogen Bomb. The Korean War began this year when North Korea invaded South Korea. That was also the year that the Communist Chinese invaded Tibet.

McCarthyism began in California, especially in Hollywood, where individuals believed to be sympathetic to Communism were singled out and black-listed, a very dark and scary time in our history.

But, on a lighter note,1950 also marked the debut of the first "Peanuts" comic strip, and Saturday Morning programming began with the "Howdy Doody" show. The black and white TV was the newest thrill in homes, and it wasn't long before the programming became a full 8 hours a day!

1950 also marked the first time in America that people began moving from the cities to the suburbs, changing the demographics across the country. The first Zerox Machine made its debut and Loyola University celebrated its first successful Kidney transplant.
The median income in 1950 was $3,300.00, and gas went for 18 cents a gallon. Yes, it was quite a year, and Mac's arrival only made it better!

Mason, Michigan was a small community of about 3500 in 1950, and it was named after Michigan's first Governor, Stevens T. Mason. Mason became the seat of Ingham county, and was mostly a farming community.
Mac's mother, Ruby, worked for General Motors in that day, as well as his father, Mac. He had a half-brother, Gerard, and a half-sister, Duretta, who are both deceased. Later on, baby brother, Eugene would arrive to complete the family.

Mac grew up in the countryside, along with his brothers and sisters, doing what most boys do. His parents had a little cabin on a river, and they would go there to fish, boat, water ski, and hunt. His dad was somewhat quiet, but his mom was a feisty little German woman who saw to it that the kids stayed in line. Mac attended local schools and then graduated from Mason High School in 1969. While in Jr. High, Mac met a pretty girl by the name of Linda. But it was after they both began attending High School, that they really noticed each other. They enjoyed spending time together at her house, where the basement had been turned into a rec room with a pool table. They could spend hours down there playing pool, watching TV and talking. Mac also had a job at the Roller Rink during High School, so sometimes they would go skating. By the time they were in 11th grade, only 16 years old, they were engaged! Following graduation, Mac enlisted in the Air Force and was sent off for Basic Training. When he returned, the two of them were married in a small ceremony on November 28, 1970. Following their wedding, Mac was ordered to go to Texas where Bergstrom Air Force Base was waiting for them!

Mac chose to go into transportation during his time in the Air Force, and that led to his being in charge when the Thunderbirds came to Austin to put on one of their aerial shows. He arranged their lodging, pick ups and ferrying them from one place to the next while they were here, and all their meals. As a 'thank you' for all he did for them, they sent him a picture of them flying their planes in formation, and they all had signed it. That became a prized possession of Mac's. Over the course of his career in the Air Force, the family would move a total of 6 times. Then Mac would be sent on missions, alone, from the bases. One of his missions took him to Guam, and then he served time in Viet Nam. He served a year in Iceland, where Linda couldn't go with him. Somehow, though, they would always end up back in Austin at Bergstrom. They were living in Georgia when Mac finally retired, and then they moved back to Austin to live from then on.

In 1972, Mac and Linda welcomed their first child, a little girl they named Tammy, who was born at Bergstrom. Then, in 1973, while they were stationed in Saul St. Marie, Michigan, they welcomed a son they named Mac. Now their family was complete. Fun was never in short supply around the Bovee home! Growing up, in spite of the many moves they had to make, the family still found ample time to spend together. They managed to go to Disneyland, Seaworld, and Busch Gardens when the kids were young. When school was out, they'd take the kids to visit each of their families back