Share This Obituary

Millard Floyd Moore was born on May 29, 1921, in Okemah, Oklahoma, to Marvin Millard Moore and Thelma Catlett Moore. He was the oldest child of what grew to be a family of nine brothers and sisters as well as one sister that died at birth. He died 96 years later on July 12, 2017.

He is survived by his children, Mike Moore, Becky Buslett, and Lisa Lander; as well as four grandchildren, Erica Buslett, Michael Buslett, Caitlin Varna and Sean Lander; one great-grandchild, Jameson Buslett; brothers Pat Moore, Harold Moore and Joe Moore. He is preceded in death by his sisters Mildred Smith, Ollie Kitrell, and Dorothy Wells, and their families of 25 nieces and nephews. As one of those nieces, I can attest that our Uncle Millard was beloved and treasured and none of our lives would be as rich as it is without him in our memories.

Moore family life as Millard grew up could have been lifted from a John Steinbeck depression-era novel. Theirs were times of hard scrabble survivorship and frequent moves. Like many big families back then, Millard and all the kids worked the fields, and felt lavish when they received a quarter or an orange as a Christmas present or gift.

As a boy, he lived in Oklahoma where he attended an Indian school and collected memories of Indian lore from his Grandmother Rogers, who we all thought until was Indian until the advent of, who in family lore, apparently liked Millard the best.

We all loved hearing Millard and his brothers' recount unknowingly digging up Indian artifacts and taking them home to their Indian grandmother Rodgers who spanked them heartily and made them get rid of the evidence for fear they would be cursed. All the Moore brothers remained fascinated by arrowheads and Indian artifacts, as well as all things Billy the Kid.

That's because moving out from the dust bowl, the family next relocated to Lincoln, NM, the hometown of Billy the Kid, where he returned to die in a shoot-out. And after New Mexico, the family moved to the Rio Grande Valley to Edinburg, Texas, where a beautiful young teacher named Frances Allen had moved from Salina, Kansas, to accept a teaching job with the Edinburg schools. One of Frances' students was a very perceptive kid named Harold Curtis who thought his teacher would be a perfect match for his older brother Millard, who by this time had graduated from high school and joined the Army.

When Frances met Millard he was already a dashing young soldier stationed in Bryan, Texas. According to Frances it was mutual attraction at first sight and nine months later, on December 16, 1948, they were married at the First Baptist Church of Edinburg. They spent their honeymoon car camping to the Grand Canyon and then on to see Millard's Uncle Lloyd all the way out to Bakersfield, California.

A year later, their son Michael Allen Moore was born. The military moved them often then. He served the US Army's, 8th Air Force during World War II and was stationed in England, North Ireland and France. In 1952, he went to Korea, and then transferred to Japan, near Tokyo. Next came a stay in Sherman, TX where daughter Becky joined the family and then it was off to Japan for two years followed by an assignment to Austin where youngest daughter Lisa was born. In 1962 he returned to Korea as a personnel management inspector. After his final assignment to Shreveport, Louisiana, a place some of us remember camping with Millard and his industrial sized mosquitos, he retired from the military in 1965.

Moving back to Austin, Millard and family moved to his idyllic spot on Onion Creek at a site called Nuckols Crossing, where he created a beautiful home and a fish pond, of which visiting was the highlight of most of his 32 nieces and nephews. That's because you could count on Uncle Millard to sit on his porch and enjoy a cold one with you until it was just the perfect time to go feed his pet catfish that lived in the pond he built by damming up one of the creeks.
As his niece Deborah Roman recalls, that place off St. Elmo Road was a special place to all his family. Deborah wrote in an email "I always loved Milliard and Frances. I remember their awesome place in Austin with the pond. The house always had an air of mystery about it that seemed magical. "

It was magical and Millard spent the next 20 years enjoying life at that 20 acre ranchette on Nuckoll's Crossing. Always with one of his beloved dogs by his side, Millard spent hours roaming the woods, searching the creek beds for arrowheads, or snake skins, or old farm or military implements, or anything he might need or want to collect. Not one for TV or movies or indoor things, Millard seemed always to be in motion, always on the move.

His favorite thing in life was traveling and exploring the great outdoors. First it was camping under the stars at Lake Travis or Garner St. Park or any number of state parks and next came his true love, extended RV trips, that inevitably ended up at Sipapoo, New Mexico, where he & Francis ultimately bought a second home, satisfying Francis' lifelong desire to stay out of Texas during the summer heat.

Growing ever weary of the then Austin traffic, Millard and Frances retired from their Austin retirement to their next retirement home in Johnson City, or to be more specific, the metropolis of Tow, Texas, where Millard and Francis again created a wonderful home, yard and nature preserve that allowed Millard to continue his walks and nature collecting up until memory issues forced him to move into assisted living.

Millard will be remembered for the twinkle in