Steven O. COULAM
Steven O. COULAM
  • August 8, 1944 - January 5, 2018
  • Salt Lake City, Utah

Share This Obituary

Arrangements made by

Wasatch Lawn Mortuary

3401 South Highland Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84106
Get Directions

Profile of Wasatch Lawn Mortuary

View Phone Number

Steven (Steve) Ormond Coulam
Salt Lake City, Utah

Steven Ormond Coulam born in Salt Lake City, Utah August 8, 1944 to Marvin Clifton Coulam and Wilma Lois Hatley Coulam, passed away January 5, 2018 of complications related to diabetes and heart disease. Steve passed away 21 years to the day of his Father's passing. He married Barbara Simons in 1968, later divorced. Steve married Farrina Blankman in 1974. Despite being divorced, Steve and Farrina remained life-long friends. He has three beautiful and intelligent daughters who he constantly bragged about.

Steve was an extremely intelligent man and was constantly coming up with the next greatest invention. He was very frugal and could find a use for any item, nothing ever went to waste. He had the greatest sense of humor and loved telling punny jokes. He could make a pun or joke out of anything. His sweet tooth was unmatched and you could always count on him handing out tiny candy bars everywhere he went. Steve's daughters were his greatest accomplishment in life. He raised them to work hard, be self-reliant and to think for themselves.

Steve graduated from Olympus High School in 1962, worked for a short period of time for the Union Pacific Railroad as a "Gandy Dancer" laying track to earn money for college and his LDS mission.
In the fall of 1962, Steven began his Bachelor of Science degree program at the University of Utah majoring in Chemistry with a Math minor. This was interrupted in the fall of 1963 when he served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in the Eastern Atlantic States, headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland. He set a record for the most baptisms. He then returned to the University of Utah and while working on his degree in Chemistry, his interests started to return to his childhood joy of photography and became interested in the field of broadcast journalism/communications. He switched majors and began working on the U of U Daily Chronicle as a sports writer, photographer, and copy editor. He also worked as a sports editor for the U of U yearbook. He interned under KTVX TV-4 news director, Roy Gibson and worked weekends at KSL TV 5 as a news photographer/writer while completing his studies. He also completed a news internship with KUTV-2 news. He was drafted into the US Army in 1970 and completed basic training in Fort Huachuca, Arizona and served the rest of his Tour of Duty as a Photography Specialist. He was honorably discharged in March 1971. Entering the field of advertising, he worked for Adamson & Associates, Francom Advertising as broadcast media director, and then Gillham Advertising. He finished his career as an independent agency specializing in national, direct response television advertising. Steve suffered a stroke in 1994 and lived a full life despite his limitations.

Steve loved fishing and particularly tried to find ways to go to Boulder, Utah whenever possible with his family. Steve had many lifelong friends in Boulder. He was an avid photographer and took some of the most beautiful sunset and nature pictures. Steve will be deeply missed by his family. He is survived by: his three children Michelle (Kurt) Addison, Stephanie (Orin) Hatch, and Melissa (Justin) Robertson; the kids' mother Farrina; and his three grandchildren, Guy Addison and Samuel and Lauren Hatch.

We would like to express thanks to his caregivers and friends who supported him to the end. The family is deeply grateful to the George E. Wahlen Veterans Affairs Medical Center where he had received care for over two decades. For the past two years he had many hospitalizations, fourteen in the last year. Every doctor, nurse, technician and staff person from outpatient clinics, to the emergency room, the pharmacy and inpatient units were incredible. Superior Home Health/Hospice also enabled Steve to remain in his home until his death for which his family is very grateful. A special thank you is also given to Tanna Marshall, who was lovingly dedicated to his safety and comfort in the months leading to his death. Steve's daughters would like to specifically thank their Mom, Farrina, for her tireless support and care of their Dad throughout their entire life.

A service will be held at Wasatch Lawn Memorial Park (3401 South Highland Drive) on January 12 at 2 pm with visitations held one hour prior to the services. Interment will be at the Wasatch Lawn Memorial Park. In lieu of flowers, please spend some quality time with a loved one or write a card to a Veteran staying at the VA hospital.