Thomas Winfred Yeary
Thomas Winfred Yeary
  • September 4, 1953 - August 9, 2016
  • Idaho Falls, Idaho

Share This Obituary

Thomas W. Yeary passed away at home in Idaho Falls on August 9, 2016 from a cardiac infection. Tom was born on September 4, 1953 in Idaho Falls to James H. and Ordeen (Hansen) Yeary. He was preceded in death by his parents. He is survived by his partner, Fred Marcum of Idaho Falls, and brothers James (Patty), of Orange, CA, David, of Idaho Falls, and Clifford (Liz) of Little Rock, AR. He has numerous nieces and nephews and grand nieces and nephews.

Tom was a practical joker his entire life. Early on, when he discovered the mischievous magic of April Fool's day it was impossible to convince him it was only permissible one day a year. He also loved acting and entertaining, putting on neighborhood puppet shows and playing many roles in the Idaho Falls Children's Theater of yesteryear. As a teen and later as adult he devoted himself to amateur movie making and video editing.

Professionally, Tom was an outstanding cook. The seed for that career was planted by the gift of an easy bake oven as a child and matured over time until he became a food service manager for a series of state and private institutions. Family meals with Tom as host was always a spectacle of huge proportions, often including a fifteen pound or heavier baron of roast beef. In early retirement, due to health, he devoted himself to managing a local food blog featuring hometown recipes that currently has more than 3500 members.

Tom was a come-back kid. There was a long, dark period in Tom's life. Living in denial of his orientation he had hidden himself inside a bottle. Several years ago, Tom was placed in hospice care and was preparing for imminent death due to his drinking. But months went by and he kept getting better and better. Addiction free and freely giving his life into his Creator's hands he reentered life as a new man. At about the same time he met his partner and together they enriched each other's lives by their love and care for each other.

Later, preparing for gall bladder surgery, a routine heart checkup revealed that Tom was in urgent need of immediate open heart surgery. Rushed to a hospital in Salt Lake City, his friends and loved ones feared the worst, but he defied death, quit smoking and free of his last addiction, renewed his love of life. Just before his death, however, he suffered a stroke in his eye and shortly thereafter had a major heart attack as a result of a cardiac infection. This time he did not bounce back, and he died at home in the wonderful care of Abode Hospice.

Tom was an active member of New Day Lutheran Church in Idaho Falls, where his memorial was held under the spiritual direction of Pastor Gina Herman on Saturday, August 13. Crematory services were provided by Buck-Miller-Hann Funeral Home.

Fred and Tom's family wish to thank the many, many expressions of love and sympathy they have received during this time of their deep loss.