Share This Obituary

Send Flowers
 Send Flowers

Memories & Candles

“Dear Family, I am so sorry to hear of Dale's passing. I had lost contact with all of you and I want you all to know that my prayers are with all of...Read More »
1 of 5 | Posted by: Lisa Craig Hopes - AZ

“Carol, I am so sorry to read about Dale. I loved you and Dale like parents. It was always so much fun to watch your kids when you went deer hunting...Read More »
2 of 5 | Posted by: Sherrie (Peterson) Shannon - IN

“I remember Mr Carter very well. When Linda and I had sleep overs you were always joking with us. Peace be with your family at this time. Kathi ”
3 of 5 | Posted by: Kathi Lucas - South Jordan, UT

“Dale was always so cute, at church, with all of the kids. He would tease them and make them laugh. He was a great neighbor and friend. Our thoughts...Read More »
4 of 5 | Posted by: Rusty and Marcia Schweppe - Orem, UT

“Thank you for making your home a showplace. Always beautifully manicured lawn and shrubs. It was forever ago that I grew up in the neighborhood...Read More »
5 of 5 | Posted by: Sandy (Billings) Fausett Highland

Dale C Carter
April 15 , 1931 – April 25, 2012

Dale C Carter passed away peacefully on April 25, 2012, of natural causes. He died with his family near his side. He was born April 15, 1931, in Payson, fifth child of Jesse Carter and Nellie Amber Cannon. One of his first early memories was thinning beets by the side of his father. He graduated from Payson High in 1949. He married Carol Kofford in 1952 prior to reporting for military service with the Marines. He used to tell us stories about how mom and he lived off base in a small apartment they renting from an old women name Sadie. Mom worked on base as a typist/secretary. Linda, the oldest child, was born in Barstow in 1953. This, of course, was during the Korean Conflict but dad never got out of California. After separation from the Corps, he and mom lived in a house they rented from mom's parents. The house is gone now but it was located just west of where K-Mart is today.

Dad began working at Geneva Steel but didn't see anyway future in working in the heat of the Coke Plant heat so he began driving truck for Ned Kofford Trucking in 1955. Greg, the second child, was only a few months old. His main route was up and down I-15 to southern California and north to Edmonton. He was gone a lot but made the best of the time he was home by spending time with his family camping, fishing at Strawberry, or teaching us kids how to work hard in the yard. He retired 40 years later.

Dad was introduced to Strawberry reservoir by his good neighbor Wayne Braithwaite. Wayne had an old 60 foot trailer and a boat. He would let dad use on the weekends. Dad would get home "off the truck" on Friday and we would drive up the canyon after Greg's baseball practice. The old '55 Ford was barely big enough for all 5 of us-4 in the cab seat and 1 on a plastic milk rack between the seat and the dashboard. Now days, you could get arrested for that! On one fishing trip, in the late morning, Dad lost his pole overboard to a fish that ate the bait and swan to the bottom. Dad was pretty upset. He had purchased that pole from Sears and it was the state-of-the-art pole. Later the afternoon, just before we pulled anchor for the day, Dad reeled in fish and there was a fishing line hooked to his mouth. Dad pulled and pulled on that line and was astonished to find his pole attached to the end. True story! Not one of those "fishing tale". Several years later, our grandfather bought a cabin up there and we spent even more time. Strawberry was a great place to deer hunt. Grandpa eventually bought a boat and he and dad bonded as "in-laws" and fishing/camping buddies.

Dad was a very good provider. He made sure that we were all taken well care of. We always had new clothes at the beginning of the school year and never lacked for adventures or outings during the summer. He and mom would have to save and save for household appliances but they always had nice stuff….our cars were several years old but always very clean and dependable.

Dad came from a family that taught him to be respectful and to be respected. His Marine background probably contributed to instilling these fine traits on to his children. Back-talk was not tolerated to him and heaven forbid if he ever got word that we (Linda, Greg and Brad) were disrespectful to his bride. We spent some very lonely nights in our bedrooms contemplating our felonious acts.

Dad loved his Saturday night lineup: Lawrence Welk at 6, I forget what was at 7 and Carol Burnett and 8. Back then there was only one TV per household and that only had 3 decent channels. Dad was "the boss" of the channels while he was home and one had to really debate to watch something that wasn't on his agenda. But, he usually gave in unless it was some "Hippie show". Dad didn't like long hair or any TV program depicted such. It was extremely difficult for him to accept when his boys started wearing their hair longer (an understatement) in the '70's. But he was always fair once he understood your stance on the issues.

For the past several years, Dad had some health issues. His heart finally acted up and he was forced to exercise more often. Twice a day for many years, one could find him on his morning or afternoon walks up to K-Mart and back. He purchased a treadmill and would come off that an hour later just soaking wet. He was in pretty good shape right up to the end. Linda heard one of the paramedic's say that he was "one tough son of gun" as they revived him on Wednesday night. He was never over weight and was strong as an ox his entire life. He passed very peacefully with his loved ones surrounding him shortly after returning from beyond. We were able to say good-bye. We find this to be miraculous.

Mom and Dad were married for 60 years last January. They were sealed for time and all eternity back in 2002. Together, they raised 3 children; Linda (Steve) Larsen, Orem, Greg (Kim) Carter, Highland and Brad Carter, American Fork. Dad was a very hard worker, a wonderful husband, father, grandfather to 9, a great-grandfather to 21 and a great-great grandfather to 1. He loved western music, teasing the kids, cookies after every meal, ketchup on his eggs, tootsie pops and singing off key-just because it was funny. He is survived by his wife and family, a brother, Max Carter, and sister Colleen Francom Knapp.

Funeral services will be held Monday, April 30th,