Celebrity Obituaries

Review this week's trending celebrity news stories

Share This Obituary

Memories & Candles

“Harold Plienis was my STEP-DADDY not my real father... he raised me from 7mo. on we didn't get to talk much after he married Donna and moved back to...Read More »
1 of 6 | Posted by: Correna Dycus

“Donna & Family,We are so very sorry for your loss. Our thoughts & prayers are with you.Vickie & Archie Reinhart ”
2 of 6 | Posted by: Vickie Reinhart

“So happy you are at peace, and no longer suffering. Love you. ”
3 of 6 | Posted by: Bobby Plienis

“Even though we all know you are in a better place, we are sad that you left your home on earth, we will always miss you and love you. You have a...Read More »
4 of 6 | Posted by: Vicki Plienis

“Dad, I love you very much, and will always miss you ”
5 of 6 | Posted by: Robert Plienis

“My condolences on your loss LaDonna. ”
6 of 6 | Posted by: Karen (Reiser) Tatro - Winfield, KS

Chief Petty Officer, Harold Arnold Plienis, USN Retired, 82, Bismarck, passed away with his wife by his side along with his sister-in-law, Bonnie. He passed away on Saturday evening November 2, 2013, from Leukemia at St. Alexius Medical Center, Bismarck. Services will be held at 11:00 am Thursday, November 7, at Trinity Lutheran Church, Bismarck, with Pastor Paul Schick officiating. Burial will be at 2:00 pm at the North Dakota Veterans Cemetery, Mandan. Visitation will be held from 5:00 pm – 8:00 pm Wednesday, November 6, at Parkway Funeral Service, 2330 Tyler Parkway, Bismarck. Harold was born September 28, 1931, at home in Arena, ND, to William and Elizabeth (Heidt) Plienis. Harold was the third oldest of eleven children. Harold was baptized November 1, 1931, at St. Paul's Evangelical Church, Tuttle, ND. Harold's Aunt Katie and Uncle Adam Binder were Harold's Godparents. Harold was confirmed at Trinity Lutheran Church, Bismarck, on November 5, 2000. Harold had been a member of Trinity Lutheran Church since being confirmed. He attended Canfield School, rural Regan, and Driscoll and Pettibone Public Schools. Harold started working for individual farmers at the age of 11. Harold then went to work at the Patterson Ranch from March 1945 until December 1, 1948, when he joined the U.S. Army. While in the Army he was in Japan, where he received the Army Occupation Medal, and in Korea, for which service he received the Korean Service Medal with 4 Bronze Camp Stars and the UN Korean Service Medal. He received an honorable discharge on June 5, 1952. During the following years he worked various jobs in the Louisville, KY, area while also serving in the Air National Guard of Kentucky from 1954 – 1957, as a crew chief on a P51 fighter plane. One of his jobs was working at Capital Laundry Company where he worked with Cassius Clay (aka Muhammed Ali). On January 24, 1958, found Harold at the US Navy Recruiting Station in Fargo, ND, where he once again enlisted in full-time military duty. After attending Electronic Technician "A" School, Harold was assigned to the USS Rochester. He later was sent to Construction Mechanic "A" School and eventually achieved the rank of Chief Petty Officer as Construction Mechanic Chief. He was very proud to be a Seabee! During his time in the Navy he received numerous letters of commendation as well as the Combat Action Ribbon, National Defense Service Medal, Vietnam Service Medal, Vietnam Campaign Medal, and the Navy Good Conduct Medal (4 times). He received an honorable discharge in 1974. On April 1, 1974, Harold transferred to the Fleet Reserve. On March 1, 1981, Harold retired from the military after 30 years of service. After military life, Harold worked for Ryder Trucks in Florida. Years later, Harold moved to Tennessee and owned and operated a Hobby Farm. Later, Harold started a Quality Repair Service, working on logging and saw mill equipment. He did a lot of work for Carl Mann, whom at one time was famous for singing, "Mona Lisa." After Harold and LaDonna were married, Harold worked for Bismarck Public Schools. Harold's last jobs were with the old Walmart and Walmart Super Center North, Bismarck. Harold was very patriotic and continued to be involved in all things military. He was a member of the VFW Club Post #1326 and the Elks Club. He attended as many Seabee reunions as he could and kept in touch with many of his Navy buddies who called him Harry. He also enjoyed traveling, attending rodeos, playing cards, dancing to old time music, attending the Medora Musical, as well as the Fiddler's Jamboree in Smithville, TN. Harold met LaDonna Helm at a dance while on a home visit to North Dakota. Harold and LaDonna were married at Trinity Lutheran Church in Bismarck, ND, on August 1, 1997. They lived for a time in Tennessee, but returned to North Dakota in 1999, making their home in Bismarck. Harold is survived by his wife, LaDonna; his daughter, Linda, Louisville, KY; his son, Robert (Vicki), Louisville, KY; and a step-daughter, Lynn (Frank), Dickinson, ND; two grandsons, Bobby, Indianapolis, IN, and David, Dickinson, ND; two granddaughters, Jackee (Jacob), Taylorsville, KY, and Elizabeth, Dickinson; one great-grandson, Mason, Taylorsville, KY; one brother, Jim (Rusty), Linton, ND; sisters-in-law and brothers-in-law, Donna Plienis, WA, Kaye Plienis, NE; Jude Plienis, MN, Bonnie and Wayne Kabanuck, Cheryl and Rick Bentz, Tracy and John Sjoquist and Dwight Helm; and many nieces and nephews. He was preceded in death by his parents; brothers, Reinhold, Donald, Ronald, Marvin, and Danny; sisters, Viola, Marlis, Virginia, and Judy; his mother-in-law and father-in-law; and his brother-in-law, David Helm.

Funeral Home
Eastgate Funeral & Cremation Service
2302 East Divide Avenue Bismarck, ND 58501
Tel. (701) 223-7322
Email Us