Jane Oleyar Emmerson
Jane Oleyar Emmerson
  • May 2, 1925 - November 26, 2017
  • Williamsburg, Virginia

Share This Obituary

Arrangements made by

Nelsen Williamsburg

3785 Strawberry Plains Rd.
Williamsburg, VA 23188
Get Directions

Profile of Nelsen Williamsburg

View Phone Number
Email Us

Jane Oleyar Emmerson, 92, lately of Williamsburg and a longtime resident of Surry County, passed away on November 26, 2017. Born on May 2, 1925 in Flint, Michigan, she was one of six children born to Michael Hudak Oleyar and Anna Cocula Oleyar. Her parents emigrated from Czechoslovakia around 1920 to settle on a farm outside of Flushing, Michigan, where Jane, then known as Mary, was raised. Here she worked hard, studied hard and enjoyed her reputation as the fastest runner in her one-room school. An honors graduate of Flushing High School, Jane later soloed as a private pilot. During WWII, she served in the United States Nurse Cadet Corps at the University of Michigan, and later was employed as a medical lab technician at Grace Hospital in Detroit. Jane and her husband, Frank, were married in 1952 after his graduation from the USAF pilot training program. Subsequently, they settled on his family farm, "Cedar Fields", in Surry County, Virginia. In 1964, after Frank was appointed as Clerk of the Circuit Court of Surry County, Jane volunteered to "help in the office", which in turn led to 35 years of service as Deputy Clerk until they retired together in 2000. Jane was a longtime member of St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Surry, where she served as a Sunday School teacher, church secretary, vestry member, and first female Senior Warden.

Jane was predeceased by her parents, four siblings, and her infant son, Charles Leonard Emmerson. She is survived by her devoted husband of 65 years, Frank V. Emmerson, Jr., whom she affectionately called "Coach". Jane also leaves behind her children, Frank V. Emmerson III, Elizabeth Anne Fuller (Jim), Richard C. Emmerson (Jeanne); eight grandchildren; three great grandchildren (and one unborn); her brother, David; and several nieces and nephews.

A graveside service will be held on Saturday, December 2, 11:00 am at the Old Brick Church Cemetery in Bacon's Castle. Following the service, the family will receive friends in the Parish House at St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Surry to honor Jane's founding of the "Coffee Hour" after services. Donations in her memory may be made to St. Paul's, PO Box 298, Surry, VA 23883. Nelsen Funeral Home, Williamsburg is handling arrangements.